Las Vegas Child Custody Lawyers
When minor children are involved, all matters of child support and custody will need to be determined during your divorce proceedings. In Nevada, child custody is considered for both Legal Custody and Physical Custody.
Las Vegas divorce lawyers
, Jennifer V. Abrams, Vincent Mayo and Brandon Leavitt have extensive experience with child custody matters. They have represented their clients at trial and have won awards of Primary Physical Custody for their clients.
Decisions about schooling, religious affiliations, and medical care are all aspects of Legal Custody. Joint Legal Custody is the most utilized form of legal custody in Las Vegas divorce cases. Joint Legal Custody means that both parents have equal rights to these important decisions.
The living arrangements for any minor children are considered in Physical Custody. The default in Las Vegas divorce cases is Joint Physical Custody. Joint Physical Custody means both parents share the same amount of time with their children. Keeping both parents involved in raising their minor children is the desire and intent of the Clark County Family Court.
In some cases, Primary Physical Custody may be sought and awarded to one parent. This may be necessary for logistical reasons. If you and your spouse are living far from each other or if one parent's work, or travel schedule makes Joint Physical Custody impossible, one parent can be awarded Primary Physical Custody. The parent to which Primary Physical Custody is awarded will be responsible for the day-to-day care of the children and will have the children living with them most of the time. In these cases, you and your spouse can agree to one parent being the Primary Physical Custodian.
If you cannot agree then the child custody issue is considered contested. Unfortunately, there are cases where one spouse is unfit to share Physical Custody. This scenario arises when one parent has drug, alcohol, criminal or mental stability issues. Seasoned Las Vegas Child Custody Lawyers are the best ones to advise you on this complex issue. In these cases, the court may find the parent unfit to share equal time. Expert Las Vegas Child Custody Attorneys can make all the difference in the outcome of child custody matters. Child Support terms are also directly affected by the child custody arrangement. Learn more about child support from Las Vegas Child Custody Attorneys
Always Consider Your Children First
Despite any problems you and your spouse may have, a concerted effort should be made to reduce the effect your divorce has on your children. Both parents should strive to live by the following rules:
At All Times
- Put any animosity to your spouse aside and place the best interests of your children first.
- Visitation exchanges can be some of the toughest times for your children. Be timely for exchanges and make the transition as smooth as possible. This is not the time to tell your spouse off.
- Your children see your divorce differently than you do. Be supportive of their spending time with your spouse.
- Answer your children's questions about what is going on, but limit their exposure to the details.
- Place blame on your spouse and say they are at fault and responsible for the divorce.
- Try to gain the upper hand in your divorce through child custody related issues.
- Subject your children to dangerous situations. If there are valid concerns about domestic violence, notify your Las Vegas child custody lawyer immediately.
- Talk trash about your spouse in front of your children. It will negatively affect your children and make an already difficult situation worse.
Our firm's Las Vegas Child Custody Lawyers have helped hundreds of clients with their complex child custody matters.
"My experience with The Abrams Law firm was wonderful. I personally retained Brandon Leavitt to handle my child custody case and I am very pleased with the outcome. Everyone at the firm was very professional and extremely friendly. My case was taken very personally and they were genuinely sensitive to my well-being and my specific needs. Everything was taken care of with no more than one request from me and done in great time. If I ever have any more legal troubles I will, without a doubt, retain The Abrams Law Firm again. I would recommend this law firm and more specifically, Brandon Leavitt, to anyone in need of a top notch lawyer. Thank you again for the positive experience!"
- Sistinas M.